Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fly Eagle


My best friend in this wide, beautiful world breezed through town yesterday to see Trinity and me on her way to California to begin a new chapter in her life. She moved back to Arkansas from California to care for her elderly mother. Her mother passed away around Thanksgiving last year. There was no longer a reason for her to stay. She is 20 years my senior. Yet, our lives have taken such similar paths.

It was so good to see her. We talked non-stop for the entire time that she was here. When she got into her car to leave, I hugged her and told her that I loved her. As she drove off waving, I didn't feel sadness to see her go even though I do not know when or if I will ever see her again. Instead, I felt the excitement of her new journey. It takes a lot of courage to pull up stakes and strike out on a quest for a new life with your future completely uncertain. It takes more courage when you embark on that endeavor alone.

I watched her until I couldn't see her car anymore. As I turned to go back into my house, I whispered into the wind, "Fly Eagle".

No comments: